This very symmetrical Craftsman has a low side gabled roof and a doubled gabled vent dormer over the front entrance. The large fixed pane windows are on either side of a tiered and battered front door. There are also four square columns spanning the front porch and a bottom rounded step. A Craftsman style light fixture also enhances the entryway. The light green clapboard siding is offset by the yellow and cream trim. The sustained maintenance on this home and yard show definite pride and are deserving of the 2014 award.
Heritage Trust Community Awards
This well maintained Victorian with Second Empire influences was the home of William Lees Judson. The home still sits across the street from Judson Studios, which at one time housed the USC School of Fine Arts and Architecture. The zany eclectic nature of the house stems from the fact that some of the students were involved in the design. The house features an arroyo stone ground floor and an alternating shingle pattern on the second story. A turret sits toward the rear of the right side of the house. The owners scrapped unsightly excess mortar off the arroyo stone wall and returned it to its original state. The yard has also been upgraded by planting Cypress trees and a jasmine vine. The owner’s dedication to the historic integrity of this Garvanza gem is definitely deserving of the 2014 award.
This 1886 Queen Anne Victorian sat vacant and almost invisible for many years. Through the efforts of the Garvanza Improvement Association and the complete dedication of the owner, the Dr. Smith House has been returned to its turn of the century glory. Visible once again are the tall Italianate windows, decorative fretwork surrounding the numerous gables, and the spindled porch columns. The concrete Tuscan columns that lined the main entrance are once again standing proud. A cottage that was built in 1920 was also lovingly restored. The tremendous undertaking that went into the sensitive restoration of one of the highlights of Garvanza is truly deserving of the 2014 award.
This double gabled Craftsman is surrounded by a beautiful arroyo stone wall that is topped by a simple wooden picket fence. The avocado green clapboard siding has a horizontal one over two pattern. A darker green and crimson trim set off its many architectural features which include a gabled roof and a gabled porch roof which are highlighted by three knee braces on each gable. Button purlins embellish the top of the porch and the original first door features beveled glass. An archway leads to a beautifully landscaped yard. The care and commitment to this charming property is quite evident and is well deserving of the 2013 award.
This same home won in 1993 for sensitively restoring brickwork that had been damaged in the 1987 earthquake. Through the years this home has been lovingly maintained and was again nominated this year. This single story Craftsman is highlighted by four large brick piers that support the front entrance. The concrete porch has a rounded edge that sits above a brick foundation. The earth tone that covers the entire house harkens back to the original Craftsman ideal that tried to blend the structure into the surrounding land. The simple elegance of this home has been lovingly cared for and is truly deserving of the 2014 award.
This front gabled Craftsman features a wide front porch with four Tuscan columns that are supported by concrete pillars. The owner did a complete renovation that included de-stuccoing the house and replacing nearly half of the clapboard siding. All the windows were recreated by using a single window that had been left under the house. A beautiful shade of salmon and a complimentary light green and white trim have breathed new life into this charming home. A Craftsman style wooden fence completes the picture. The owners are to be commended for their dedication to historic integrity in the renovation of this property and are truly deserving of the 2014 award.
The restoration of this 1921 cottage turned a dilapidated structure into a preservationist’s delight. The colonial influenced residence features a protruding classical front porch highlighted by four Tuscan columns. The original front door has lites on either side and the concrete front porch has founded edges. The white paint on the small clapboard siding and Tuscan columns is offset by blue and grey trim. The pleasing results of this undertaking display pride of ownership and are definitely deserving of the 2014 award.
This single story Craftsman sits high above the street and is once again inhabitable after a new foundation, new roof and a welcome paint job. It features an extended porch roof that is supported by two Tuscan columns. The wooden porch is original and the front entrance has been replaced with a period appropriate door. A light and dark brown color palette and orange trim provide the final touches to this attractive home. Leading down to the street is the original curved walkway with brick siding and concrete steps. The tremendous amount of work and commitment to renovating the property is commendable and truly deserving of the 2014 award.
In 1923 a group of a dozen or so eastern European Jewish immigrants had the desire to create a religious center to serve the Highland Park and Eagle Rock communities. For seven years the women rallied together by raising funds, holding services and classes in various locations, and even purchasing a lot on Monte Vista Street in the hopes of realizing their dream. However, by 1930, and the start of the Great Depression, these women were beginning to think all their hard work was for naught. But through determination, encouragement and just plain will power, construction of Temple Beth Israel began in August 1930 and was officially opened in December of that year. Gerson C. Cohen, a third year architectural student at USC, designed the original building. This temple added to the large number of churches that Highland Park had and still does to this day. The simple modern structure is symmetrical and exhibits two pilasters on either side of the front door. The Temple has been a mainstay on Monte vista for over 80 years and its continued care is to be commended. The 90 years of service to its Jewish congregation and the community as a whole is also to be applauded and is truly deserving of the 2014 award.
According to the owner, this property looked almost abandoned when he purchased it. The yard was badly overgrown and the house begged for a paint job. After much scraping, an arts and crafts green now covers the large Craftsman which exhibits both a dormer and a gable on the front and two side facing gables which are all embellished with curved knee braces. The transverse gables on either side are slightly cantilevered over the first story. Several casement windows have four lites over one with dark green frames and white sashes. The front porch is highlighted by decorative tiles on the risers. A beautiful pepper tree is once again visible and a gigantic bird of paradise towers to the second story. The owner’s pride in his home and his dedication to the historic integrity is truly deserving of the 2014 award.